/* verifies my page for google statistics */

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Venezuela Votes

I am continually struck by the fascinating trends in countries such as Venezuela, where former militants are gaining popular acceptance as political candidates. Although imperfect, the scenario has a distinct vitality that I can only wish for here in the lazy and uncaring political climate of the united states. I mean, can you think of more than one or two people in major public office who were rabid idealists of ANY sort during their youth, then transformed their beliefs into political movements? Not many. Some congressmen or senators, maybe. A few governors (and don't try and tell me Arnold is on that list...). I mean, say what you will about the stability of the Venezuelan state or the whimpering power of their minor economy; their voting percentages are good, with >60% voting in the recent elections, and very high participation and debate amongst both the candidates and the country as a whole.

All I'm saying is that we here in the US could definitely learn something from some of these transitional countries; at least they're actively trying to improve their country, instead of just engaging in partisan arguments about gay marriage, stem cells, or abortion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home