/* verifies my page for google statistics */

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Man vs. Woman : The Uber-Dork Chess Showdown

Ok, so the NYT always has these articles with well thought-out and justified theories applied from the experts in various fields and frequently incites thought-provoking conversations. The linked article on the capabilities of women vs. men in the chess world is no different. However, having been through the experience of progressive socialization of introverted male dorks (and I don't think it's a stretch to call the average brilliant young chess player a member of this group), I would like to offer one possible additional data point to consider when taking a woman and putting her in the traditionally male-dominated society of competitive chess. What if the better-than-expected performance of women taking on the men is due in part to the fact that the boys are nervous about being around girls? I have seen this first-hand in educational and performance scenarios, and I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility. Of course i'm not taking away from the victories those female competitors achieved, I don't suspect there's any real inherent capability bias in either direction. Which is why I don't think statistics would really show a bias either, unless there's some other external factors leading to the shift. I say we just socialize our young dorks a little bit more; and then they would be able to maintain their focus when they come into contact with the female competitor.

or maybe I'm simply projecting my own perceived failings and shortcomings upon these mad scientist children...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home