/* verifies my page for google statistics */

Friday, July 27, 2007

Religious Bull Slaughtered for Public Safety

I guess this has been a pretty big story over in the UK and amongst Hindu communities, but it does bring up some broader questions. Easily applied are the age-old arguments of the common good versus individual or at least more selective groups’ desires. Despite my sensitivity to religious rights (and rites), I think this had to have been the right outcome in the long run. Especially considering the lengthy history the UK livestock industry has had with animal disease. I don’t know a whole lot about the specific disease the cow had, but it’s entirely possible that it could have spread to humans, or at least used them as carriers to other animals, as has been seen with many other diseases. Besides, I have to believe that there are caveats within Hindu code that allow for merciful deaths of animals, as well as humans. Although I suppose religion, in general, is not particularly beholden to logic or reason (that being an entirely different system of beliefs requiring just as much faith)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home