/* verifies my page for google statistics */

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Google in Kenya

Sure sure. Google is investing in Kenya, and beginning the African IT revolution. Realistically, I’ll believe it when I see it. Yes, costs are dropping for infrastructure and we have these new low-cost laptops. Yes certain areas of Africa have really pulled their heads out and are stabilizing (as much as African countries seem to be able to do that these days…)

But I’m just not quite ready to believe that this is something viable. Cellular phones, sure. Those require isolated infrastructure that is more easily defendable, not as vulnerable as land lines everywhere. But it’s hard to have any kind of internet backbone without very firm, real, and installed land lines and facilities to support servers. So my guess is that it will be isolated at first, and then perhaps serve as an impetus for renewed economic growth within Kenya and in proximity to Google’s thrust.

 

I guess what I’m saying is that it’s a gamble. But I admit I’m impressed with the push by google to get its claws into somewhere like Kenya…I mean this could be a fascinating example of a high-tech firm gaining real political and information power within the power structure of a developing country; similar to how western industrial firms made inroads all over the far east in the last two centuries and ended up wielding immense power over the populace and the governments. I just have to wonder how the power balance will turn out with so much more (apparent) transparency these days…

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home