/* verifies my page for google statistics */

Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Economics of Racism

You know, I've often wondered about this stuff... I'm sure that I have prejudices, just as everyone does; but as I try to identify and quantify my internal prejudices, it's next-to impossible to determine what effect those have on my interactions with people. It brings doubt into all of my interactions, and means that I constantly re-evaluate my thoughts and feelings.
A recent article on Forbes talks about economic principles (herein basically meaning the application of statistical analysis typically applied to economics) used to pick apart the realities of racial gaps between american black and white.

Probably the most fascinating quote was concerning a test that divided workers arbitrarily into "green" and "purple" workers, and let employers hire based on knowledge of those colors. The result: "Once the downward spiral set in, a color-blind employer would actually lose money."

I mean, based upon that, we have to yet again call into question the balances we are willing to allow between pure capitalism and the moral imperatives that we must try and maintain to keep society's fabric together. Because capitalism is, by definition, amoral; how and when do we disrupt purely capitalistic practices in order to inject the prevailing or just (note: prevailing social practices are rarely just in retrospect) moral catalysts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home