/* verifies my page for google statistics */

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Laser Shield Bubble?

Ok, admittedly I was envisioning a nuclear shield out of Dune or maybe Foundation, but I guess it's more just a laser system that has an effective range in three dimensions that they choose to relate as a "bubble." Whatever. It's still an interesting idea, although it remains to be seen how accurate these are when based on the ground. If I remember correctly, the whole issue with these laser systems before was that as the laser intensity increased, the heat generated as it passed through the air causes the air particles to deflect the light beam and unfocus it. Perhaps the shorter distances of this system means it won't have the same magnitude of deflection/de-focus as when these systems were being tested as space-to-ground or ground-to-space. I mean if it works, great. Here's to hoping, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home